Thursday 29 May 2014

fukuoka sights

The last place G and I explored was the biggest city on Kyushu, Fukuoka. There's not that much to do there except shop and eat, so we only planned for one day there. But it turned out to be a lot of fun - Gabby loved the bustling city and I can't take my eyes off the crowds of perfectly-groomed, fashionable people. 

We ate huge breakfasts and Mexican dinners (at a great place in Hakata station), went to art galleries, shopped, wandered and did karaoke. I didn't take many pictures - I think I was trying to just make the most of our time together without looking at it through a screen.


Somewhat creepy boats in the park by Fukuoka art museum



Gabs was pretty happy with his ramen - we headed to Ramen Stadium in Canal City, where you can choose from 8 shops and ramen types from all over Japan. 




And of course we couldn't resist our speciality 


A bit of reading for the train back home... I love Humans of New York
For our last night we went out for drinks and dancing to stave off the leaving blues. Right next to our hotel, by Hakata station, we found a fantastic old place called Bar England. The sign looked tacky and we ducked in prepared to laugh at a weird interpretation of an English pub, only to find a wonderful cocktail bar with mood lighting and wood panelled walls. 


I was pretty damn sad catching the shinkansen home on my own. But, I had a live volcano to distract me and the knowledge that the next time we say hello, I won't have to start dreading saying goodbye again. Almost only 2 months to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment